Do you find yourself getting angry at work or at home? Read on for our top ways to keep calm in a stressful situation.
- Take a deep breath... and breathe out through the mouth slowly.
- Count to your age - so if you're 55, count to the number 55.
- Write down the things that are making you stressed on a piece of paper. Once finished, rip the paper up and throw it in the bin.
- Leave the room. If you're angry, move immediately out of the room. This will stop you from you from biting people's heads off.
- Listen to some music. Music can help you unwind, if you're stressed at work, just put your headphones on.
- Relax your shoulders - roll your shoulders back three times, then roll them forward. Repeat.This will help you loosen up.
- Get some fresh air - open a window, or step outside.
- If you can't leave the room, close your eyes and imagine a leaf flowing down a stream. Thinking of nature can help focus your priorities and give you a chance to compose yourself.
- If you repeatedly find yourself stressed, it's time to get a pen and paper out. Note down the times where you get stressful - it could be that you see patterns - a certain time of day, loud sounds, low sugar levels. Try and work out what triggers your stress and you'll soon work out how to avoid it.
- It's easy to believe the problem is bigger than it is. If you're feeling negative towards yourself, take out all of these accusations and see the problem for what it really is.
You know the saying - healthy body, healthy mind. Eating the right foods and regular exercise will help keep you naturally happy and calm.
P.S. This blog post is dedicated to Anushka, my fellow Content Editor.